Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Top 5 Longest Anime I Own Or Have Seen

Hi guys! I didn't realize this, but this post marks the 100th time I've put something on this blog! I'm pretty proud of myself, considering a couple months ago I celebrated the 1-year anniversary of creating this blog, and I didn't think it would last a year. Also considering the fact that I first created this as a anime review blog, today's post will be anime-related. Judging by the title of this post, here's a look at the top 5 longest anime I own or have seen.

5) Getbackers (49 Episodes)

Considering the circumstances of the number 5 selection (Click "***" to look at that review), 49 episodes is pretty impressive. Despite some of the more basic elements, Getbackers is a surprisingly epic show, and manages to capture the essence of what Shonen anime is. With the entire series reprinted just a few months ago (July 10th, to be specific), the show was brought back for Otaku to watch again.

4) You're Under Arrest (52 Episodes)

Passing Getbackers by a mere 3 episodes, You're Under Arrest is an example of a cop anime done properly. Ironically, You're Under Arrest is actually 2 shows: a 4-episode OVA to get people primed for the rest of the series, and the 48 episodes that take place after the OVA that continued the story of the first 4 episodes. Without getting into it (considering that I haven't reviewed it yet, but I'm close to), the show is filled with a great cast, the story (or stories) are easy to understand, and is composed of a variety of genres.

3) Maison Ikkoku (96 Episodes)

Rumiko Takahashi is considered to be one of the anime world's most iconic female animator & storytellers. Most of the shows that she created are very well known, but some have fallen by the wayside over the years, and became cult classics. Maison Ikkoku is a well known cult classic, and has the distinction of being shorter than Inuyasha (more on that in a little bit). I just recently found this show, and have begun to watch this relatively lengthy series. From what little I've seen so far, it's not that bad, and I kinda enjoy it.

2) Inuyasha (167 Episodes)

Another Rumiko Takahashi series, the one advantage Inuyasha has over Maison Ikkoku is that it hasn't fallen into cult classic status, but has definitely shifted out of the minds of some anime fans. Unlike Maison Ikkoku, the long running time has been something of a hindrance to the series. The amount of episodes definitely irked fans (167 episodes spread out over 6 seasons), as well as it's shaky use of the manga, but the big detriment to Inuyasha was the amount of filler episodes. I've never managed to watch the entire series, but when I did catch it, at least a 1/4 to 1/2 of the episodes I watched were filler. Despite the problems, Inuyasha has become an endearing anime series, with fans still saying that it's a great show.

1) Bleach (366 Episodes "Currently")

366 Episodes is simply incredible for a series to be composed of. Sadly, the heavy amount of episodes has caused it's popularity to decrease in recent years (at least for me, it seems like it started become less popular around 2010), not to mention the fact that at least half of the episodes are filler. There is a weird light at the end of the tunnel: earlier this year, it was announced that the manga would be ending after all these years, yet the anime would continue (at least that's what I've seen). I've personally enjoyed Bleach, whether filler or not.

With that quick celebration out of the way, it's time to get into something more serious. As you can obviously tell, I increased my reviews & other posts from 1 a week, to 2. I mostly did it out of boredom, but in the end I enjoyed doing the whole "2 posts a week" thing. However, I'm starting to run out of anime (I've still got at least 2 to 4 anime on DVD on backlog, and a horde of out-of-print anime I downloaded), and some of the future PC games I plan to review are a bit older, so figuring out how to get them to work is going to take some work. So, at least for a little while, I'll be going back to 1 review a week. I've actually found it difficult to do 2 reviews a week, especially since they're only placed apart by a day or two (as long as I'm not late), and actually going over two things (sometimes the same medium, sometimes not) can be a challenge. Don't worry though, I do plan on putting up a review for the original Torchlight later this week, but after that, it'll be back to 1 post at a time. I'll still be posting stuff up, so don't think that this is goodbye.

See you all later this week. Until then, stay Otaku!

No comments:

Post a Comment