Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Leetstreet Boys - Legends (Mini) Review

Hi there! I know I said that I’d only do 1 post a week, but recently I’ve read an interesting proposition from the Leetstreet Boys website. Not a business proposition, but a opportunity to their latest album, L3g3nds (Yes, that’s how they spell it. Grammar Nazis...shoot yourself!). Seeing this as a challenge, I’ve decided to take it upon myself to review it. Problem is, I don’t have the album. I recently bought Christmas presents for people, and suffice it to say, I need to lay off the debit card. However I don’t want to disappoint you guys & LB, so I figured screw it, and decided to do a mini review of the songs that have made it to youtube, and without further adieu, here it is.

Songs
Sakura: I was quite surprised when I listened to this for the first time. Despite sounding a little cheesy, the lyrics are surprisingly mature, and while the instrumentation sounds a lot like many of their previous songs, there seems to be a little more depth to them. As youtube user supersaiyan8thgate said:

“I could see this being an opening to an anime”

The Song Of Time: Holy shit, has a Leetstreet Boys song cause me to well up a tear or two? Well, this one has! If Sakura was a song that have some maturity & depth to it, The Song of Time has far more of these two things.

Where as Sakura relied a lot on drums, guitar, and keyboard, The Song Of Time takes on a more happy-sad vibe with it’s use of piano, drums, snipbits of guitar, and some impressive flute playing (Props to whoever played the flute). What’s more interesting is the lyrics, as they’re basically singing about the life of Link (The main hero of the Zelda series, for those who didn’t know), and how he still has dreams. Now, that might sound silly to some of you, but there’s a surprising amount of care & respect into what was chosen.

My Life Is A RPG: We go from two mature songs, to a tune that feels a lot more like a typical Leetstreet Boys ditty. The lyrics are incredibly cheesy, but fun to listen to, and the instrumentation feels very standard, yet there’s a lot of love and care put into them (This is coming from the guy that loves Heavy Metal, a music style not necessarily known for loving & caring). The only other thing I have to say is that if you’re a fan of RPGs, this song is for you!

Imaginary Boys: Much like My Life Is A RPG, Imaginary Boys feels very standard. The song relies heavily on keyboards, supplemented with some nice drums, and some slightly heavy guitar work (That surprised me). The lyrics made me laugh: the song essentially is about a girl going gaga over some male anime characters (To be more specific, the popular male characters), while the singer wishes he could be one of them. Again, this made me laugh, and I managed to crack a smile or two.

If I could use one word for L3g3nds, it would be this: experimentation.

Even though I obviously haven’t gone through all the songs, there seems to be a Devin Townsend vibe in this album. There’s still some familiar sounds, yet at the same time it seems like they’re partially going in a different direction, and trying to be a little more refined & mature, perhaps to get in some older listeners. If this is the case, then they’re doing a damn good job! Look forward to a full & proper review sometime down the road.

See you all next week, when I’ll review one of the most heinous anime ever made. Until then, stay Otaku!


*
If you liked the songs, here’s a link to buy the album:

http://www.leetstreetboys.com/store/album3/

**
If you don’t understand why I compared the Leetstreet Boys to Devin Townsend in this, then click on the links below in the precise order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-NQvRmo3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQd8_MHPRXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmIByrcwAQ

No comments:

Post a Comment