Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jungle De Ikou Review

Hi everyone! I'm still coming off of my Genericon high, and I'm just starting to look through photos and watch videos from the con. This year was awesome, and if anyone who went there, it was a great time. As for those otaku who didn't make it, then my condolences to you.

Now that that's out of the way, it time to get to the review. Like I said last post, I got 5 shows during the weekend. I also said in that post that I'd continue through the older shows I have before I get to the newer ones, but one show called out to me. A show that has been around for a long time (it has been around since the late 90s) and has gained a reputation for incredible amounts of fanservice and humor, not to mention a ridiculous plot. That show, ladies & gentlemen, is Jungle De Ikou!



Directed by Yuji Moriyama back in 1997, and licensed by AnimeWorks for VHS & DVD in 2001, Jungle De Ikou shows the tale of Natsumi Rokudo, a ten-year old student who's father just happens to be an archaeologist. He's recently come back from New Guinea with an ancient statuette, and gives it to his daughter as a gift. Little does Natsumi realize, the statuette was actually a prison for Ongo, the spirit of wood & destruction, and he gets released into her room. Luckily, he's just a little guy that is more of an annoyance than a force for destruction. However, before Ongo is released, Natsumi is visited in her dreans by Ahem, the god of the earth. He tells her of Ongo's coming, and teaches her a dance (a sexy, funny, perverted dance) that bestows upon her the form and power of Mii, the goddess of flowers, fertility, and reproduction. With her massive breasts, Mii protects Japan from Ongo's eventual destructive rage, and from Rongo the water spirit. I can't reveal more, as it would ruin the story. Suffice it to say, it is a wonderful and hilarious ride that should be shared with everyone that is willing to sit down and watch.

I normally don't like anime intros, but Jungle De Ikou's intro is the first positive. The intro that I liked before this one were for Chobits and Love Hina, but Jungle De Ikou's intro is a mix of upbeat tribal drums and jazzy sounds that somehow fits. The video used in the intro shows of Mii and her massive...capabilities, as well as the various characters that eventually appear in the show, and also gives the watcher a taste of the wackiness to come. If you'd like to take a gander at the intro, then click on the link below:


Jungle De Ikou Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zXXy-UULI



By the way, the ending song isn't that bad either.



Jungle De Ikou's next positive is the humor. I'm putting it right out there: this show is pure fanservice and slapstick. There is not a minute where you aren't laughing out of your seat, or oggling at the myriad panty shots and boob shots. The majority of the humor within the show comes from Natsumi's interaction with Ongo and Ahem, and the fanservice (most of it, anyway) comes from Natsumi's transformation into Mii, and Mii's massive boobs. If you don't believe me, then click on the link below (if you don't want to spoil some of the story for yourself, then don't click on it):


Jungle De Ikou Transformation (From Episode 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c5wzAZMrro


That was merely a taste of what the show provides. If you don't have a sense of humor or if you didn't feel the slightest bit aroused (trust me, I was), then this show is not for you.

The next positives for Jungle De Ikou are it's availability and pricing. My used copy at the con was just $7.99, but the starting price over on Amazon is 16 dollars, which still puts it in the affordable area. The copes of Jungle De Ikou on Amazon are also plentiful. Despite being a little over a decade old, there are 26 new DVDs, and just 9 used copies, which start out at $15.95. Your best bet is to buy one of the new copies, and leave the used copies for those who can't afford a new one.

Jungle De Ikou's last positive is the length of each episode. Despite only being 3 episodes long (read below), they clock in at about 22 minutes, making this a show that can be watched in one sitting (I have a lot of these shows, don't I?). As a suggestion, if you plan on showing this to your friends, make sure they're just a pervy as you.

Despite it's strengths, Jungle De Ikou has a couple weaknesses as well. The first is that there isn't a lot of episodes. As I just typed above, there are only 3 to watch. Much like Gunsmith Cats, there were going to be more episodes of Jungle De Ikou, but there simply wasn't a demand once the show came on. It's tragic actually, as I would have loved to see more episodes, and that the show has a lot of potential.

Secondly, while Mii is clearly an adult (A big breasted adult, to be exact), Natsumi is a 10-year old girl. I normally don't have a problem with this kind of stuff, but for some reason, seeing a young girl perform a provocative dance is a bit disturbing. Luckily for me, I got over it by the second transformation sequence, but more prudish anime viewers with turn away after seeing the dancing for the first time.

Lastly, Jungle De Ikou has the problem of being an anime that is a bit under the radar. While more popular that say Burn Up Excess (look at that review if you don't know what I'm talking about), Jungle De Ikou is more of a sleeper hit than a widely known series, although Wikipedia quotes that "The series is remembered for its wildly comedic moments and fanservice elements", so perhaps I'm missing something.

Jungle De Ikou gets a 7.2 out of 10. The intro and ending sound great, the humor is awesome, the pricing isn't a wallet-killer and copies on Amazon are plentiful, and the short nature of the show makes it great to watch in a day, but there's only 3 episodes, the main (non transformed) female acting sexy can be a bit disturbing, and the show isn't as popular as you may think.

Come back next week, where I'll review a movie that makes me ashamed to own it. Until then, stay Otaku!

No comments:

Post a Comment