Friday, March 30, 2012

Why I do this: ADV Films (R.I.P.)

Hi everyone. I'm sorry about not posting up anything yesterday. I was busy with a bunch of stuff, and the internet at my place was acting a little strange. So, because of all that, I wasn't able to watch the movie I planned to review yesterday. I didn't want to leave you in the dark, so I decided to post something today. So, read on to see what I have in store for you.

If you've read through my reviews, you'll noticed that I've done the following in a bunch of them:


"insert show here" was released by ADV Films (R.I.P.)


Many of you are wondering "that's a little strange". It is, I won't lie. However, I keep doing that because ADV Films deserves it. The company was one of the first to bring anime into the United States (the first show they ever brought over was Devil Hunter Yohko), and they were the first to popularize the medium. At first, their video releases were just subs, but they began using dubs with their own voice actors a few years later. When they closed in 2009, they had a large library of shows under their belt. Look below to see the lists:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:ADV_Films

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:ADV_Films&pagefrom=Tokyo%3A+The+Last+Megalopolis#mw-pages


This collection deserves some respect, whether the shows are good, bad, subbed, and/or dubbed. Many other companies don't quite have a library as extensive as this.

I also do the R.I.P. thing because I was a loyal fan of ADV Films when I saw their site & some of their trailers back when I started college, as well as receiving my DVD collection of Comic Party Revolution a few Christmases, and buying some of their titles over the years before and after their closing. I just loved what they released, and a bunch of my friends owned some of the shows they released, so it was like being with the crowd and such. I was distraught when I found out that they closed, and to honor their memory, I watch the shows that I own from them to remind me of one of the greatest anime companies in the world.

So that pretty much why I do that R.I.P. thing. To steal a catchphrase from Bret "The Hitman" Hert: ADV Films is the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

See you next week, where I'll post up some more Street Fighter goodness for you. Until then, stay Otaku!

No comments:

Post a Comment