Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ozzy Osbourne: Ozzmosis Review

Hi everybody! I’m quite surprised with myself, especially since it’s taken me some time to bring this musical artist to the blog. I uses to not like this individual for a long time, mostly due to my Mother & Father playing his/her songs on a somewhat constant basis when I was younger. If it wasn’t for that one tune in 2001, and getting a compilation album in 2002 for my birthday, I may have very well continued to dislike this person. But the ways of metal are quite strong, and eventually I gave in to this person’s mastery of the genre. The person in question.....is Ozzy Osbourne.

Yep, Ozzy Osbourne. I used to not like his music for ages, enough to the point that my parents would make fun of me about it. However, in 2001 I managed to come across his song It Gets Me Through You (Click “***” to listen), and for some reason I was almost immediately hooked. When I was given the compilation album The Ozzman Cometh for my 15th birthday, my soul surrendered to Ozzy’s powerful voice. About a month or two ago, I download an album that many Ozzy fans call “okay”, and by extension metal fans say is underrated. Intrigued, I’ve listened to the whole album, and I’m ready to give my opinion. So, for your pleasure, here’s my review for Ozzy Osbourne’s 1995 release, Ozzmosis.

Background

Ozzy Osbourne. A musician without few equals, Ozzy has managed to transcend his humble beginnings in Black Sabbath, and became a Heavy Metal god known throughout the entire world. What really makes him a great musician is that he always knew how to adapt to the changes in the musical world. While he kept his classic rock sound for a long time, it was in the early 90s that he decided to embrace a new feel to bring in newer metalheads. It started with No More Tears, which was a big hit in the United States, and has sold over 5 million copies across the world. Continuing his transition into more modern metal, he releases his second album, Ozzmosis, on October 24, 1995.

To make this album, Ozzy Osbourne brought on a impressive crew. Some of these members include guitarist Zack Wylde (Who worked on the previous two albums, and would later form Black Label Society, which is a good band in it’s own right), former Black Sabbath bandmate Geezer Butler, and Steve Vai (You may recall me mentioning Steve Vai in my review for Devin Townsend’s Ocean Machine: Biomech). When the album was released, the media outlets of the time gave the album praise, but many fans of Ozzy weren’t as impressed. Since it’s mid 90s release, Ozzmosis has been certified twice in the United States as a platinum record, selling 2 million copies, and has since become a cult classic of an album.

Songs
Perry Mason: Any TV show buff might recognize the name for this opening song, but for those not in the know, this was the name of a crime show that aired from 1957 to 1966. It was much like Law & Order: the cops investigate a crime, the criminal is taken to court, etc. It should be noted that before this album, Ozzy was going through court-required drug rehab, and once he got out of the program, Perry Mason was the first TV show he watched. Because of this, it inspired him to make a song about it.

This song really defines Heavy Metal. Dark, brooding, slow, complete with good guitar & drum work, not to mention Ozzy iconic singing voice. It all comes together into a decent tune that feels like Heavy Metal, but also feels safe for some reason, and not the good kind of safe.

I Just Want You: I should start by say that this song is good.....damn good, in fact! One of my favorite tracks on the album, I Just Want You is full of emotion, both positive & negative, as well as great instrumentation & singing. However, this song shows of the major problem with Ozzmosis, and that’s track speed.

A majority of the songs on this album are slow ballads, and while a few hear and there don’t ruin an album (Except for really picky fans), too many of them will make for a sluggish listening experience. This really was the single point that fans & critics focused on when Ozzmosis came out: despite sounding good, too many of the songs are slow. It also doesn’t help the fact that this song, and the one below, contradict the speed & feeling of the first song on this album.

Ghost Behind My Eyes: Yet another slow ballad, Ghost Behind My Eyes really shows of the main problem that Ozzmosis suffers from (Overabundance of slow ballads). Having said that, this is a good sounding song, as you can feel Ozzy putting his heart & soul into it. His singing comes across as mournful & melancholic, and the instrumentation also feels like this. This isn’t necessarily one of my favorite songs on this album, but it’s fun to listen to.

Thunder Underground: Return to the sounds created by Perry Mason, Thunder Underground shares many of the elements within that song. A dark, brooding, and slow atmosphere, along with some decent guitar & drum work. If I have one complaint about this song, it would be Ozzy’s singing.

Long before this song, his voice would be processed to sound cleaner & crisper, but in Thunder Underground, he almost sounds a member of Alvin & The Chipmunks. It’s incredibly earsplitting, and you almost want to switch to another song (Whether it’s Ozzy or not). I had to do this at least once or twice, and even then, my ears were ringing for a few seconds afterwards. 

See You on the Other Side: Though I’ve been complaining about the abundance of slow ballads on this album, I’m not really pitching a fit about this one. As sputnikmusic.com user Jacob Russell says:

I find this to be the best ballad on the LP. It has beautiful lyrics about the death of a friend or lover, and how he'll see them again once his time comes. It is just a very great sounding song overall, I'm not sure what else I can say.

Tomorrow: This is such an odd song. Tomorrow feels like the many other ballads on this album (Slow instrumentation, slow verses), but it’s the chorus that separates it from all the others. The chorus comes down on you like a ton of Heavy Metal coated bricks, with everybody giving it their all when it comes around! Again, this isn’t one of my favorites, but it’s fun regardless.

Denial: If I had to pick a song that I would consider to be the worst on Ozzmosis, it would be this one. Denial feels too much like See You on the Other Side: the instrumentation feels the same, the tone & mood feel the same, and even Ozzy’s singing sounds the same. The only difference is that while See You on the Other Side sounds like a lot of work was put into it, Denial doesn’t sound like it has as good of quality.

My Little Man: As silly as this might sound, this was a song that almost made me cry. Written for Ozzy’s son Jack, who was 10 years old at the time, My Little Man has to be one of the most emotionally charged Ozzy songs I’ve ever heard. The instrumentation feels like something plucked out a children’s book, with a overwhelming dream-like/fantasy vibe to cradle you, and Ozzy’s hopeful singing voice having a very comforting tone. Goddamn, I think I’m crying right now!

My Jekyll Doesn't Hide: For starters, this has to be the dumbest name for an Ozzy song...ever!

Secondly, it’s not that bad. It’s not the greatest song on Ozzmosis, but it’s not unbearable to listen to. The instrumentation sounds like Perry Mason/Thunder Underground, and Ozzy’s vocal range sounds like he dipping into his early 80s work, while at the same time staying fresh & modern. In fact, Jacob Russell described Ozzy’s singing in this song like this:

It really shows the modernization of the heavier portions of the album as well as having some very interesting lyrics and unique vocal work that kinda reminds me of Ozzy's days in Black Sabbath.

Old L.A. Tonight: We conclude this review of Ozzmosis with the last song on the album, Old L.A. Tonight. More than any song on this album, you can tell that Ozzy longs for the old Los Angeles, which is where he felt the most comfortable. The instrumentation feels much the same, and almost has a rock/blues things going on. It should be noted that Zack Wylde performed some great guitar solos, and the piano work is absolutely beautiful. Overall, Old L.A. Tonight is a touching & wonderful song that somehow works great as a ending track.

Overall Impression & Rating
It’s understandable why a lot of Ozzy fans don’t necessarily like this album. Slow pacing, slow songs, and singing that’s not necessarily up to Ozzy’s standard badassery, Ozzmosis has kinda been swept under the rug, which is a real shame, because it’s actually not that bad. There’s a couple good tracks on here that are worth a listen to, and even the worst on this album isn’t actually the worst. I’d say give it a go. If you like it, great! If you don’t, then it’s okay.

Ozzmosis gets a 7 out of 10.

See you all next week, when we look at one of the most iconic harem anime ever made. Until then, stay Otaku!


*Apologies for this being a day late. I had a bunch of stuff to get done, and by the time I could actually post this, I was way to tired to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment