Sunday, May 20, 2012

Diablo 3: Collector's Edition (Extras) Review

Hi guys. Normally I don't do 3 review in a week, but this is a special occasion. As I said in my "Seeds of Geekdom: My Mother" post this Tuesday, my Collector's Edition for Diablo 3 came in, and boy is it friggen amazing! I beat it in Normal this past Friday, and I'm close to beating the first part on Nightmare. I'll post a official review of the game next Thursday, but tonight I'll be reviewing the goodies that came with Collector's Edition. Most are nice, a tiny few are just meh, but they're all enjoyable.

To start off, let's go through the extras that are in-game. For starters, D3 gives you two exclusive dyes (Bottled Cloud & Bottled Smoke) that you can use over & over, a special angelic wings aesthetic artifact, and a exclusive banner for multiplayer. The exclusive banner is just okay to me, but the dyes and the wings are pretty cool to have.

World of Warcraft & Starcraft 2 also get some goodies. In WoW, you get an exclusive pet in the form of a Fetish Shaman, and Starcraft 2 is given exclusive Battle.Net portraits. The WoW pet I don't care about since I don't play that game (and a lot of other gamers that don't play WoW), but the Starcraft 2 portraits are kinda fun to have, although I have to select one still.

In short, most of the in-game extras are pretty cool, apart from the banner and the WoW pet. However, they aren't the only extras in this collector's edition, so let's look at the physical goodies.

In addition to the D3 game, there's a 4GB USB Soulstone with Diablo 2 & the mission pack on it. There's also a Diablo skullholder to hold the USB, and said USB glows a bright red when it's inserted into a machine. I find this extra to be very weird, as gamers are gonna be concentrating on the new game, and not the old game. On the other hand, it's cool for people that haven't played the previous game to have. On top of that, the USB and skullholder look sweet together.

We've also got a two-disk blu-ray set, showing what went on behind the scenes of Diablo 3's development. This is really cool, as there is no other collector's edition that I know of that has this. The developers, as well as the sound engineers, animators, and gameplay mechanic people talk about how they played their part in making this game. Although I haven't finished watching the blu-ray set yet, I really liked watching what I've seen so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else is on.

Next extra is the collector's edition soundtrack. I laughing when I saw this, because a long time ago I got the collector's edition for the original Neverwinter Nights, and a soundtrack was included in that one. I have to make room on my MP3 player, as I'm looking forward to listening to the music without any other noise playing in the background. The soundtrack is definitely a nice extra to have in this collection, as the music could even be used in a Dungeons and Dragons session!

We conclude this review of the Diablo 3: Collector's Edition with the look at the art book simply called "The Art of Diablo III". Simply put, this is one of the most extensive collections of video game art out there. Although the Blizzard staff said to finish normal difficulty before looking at the art book (they also said this about the Behind the Scenes blu-ray set), I charged right into it, and enjoyed everything I saw. In addition to completed 2d & 3d images, there's a swarm of early and partially drawn images. It's so amazing to see all of these images, as the amount of detail put into them is incredible. Funny story: I work with a older woman (78 years old, if you were wondering), who's very curious about the games I play. I brought my collector's edition over to show here, and she really enjoyed the art book, especially the artwork for the Wizard.

So this concludes my review for the extras within the collector's edition of Diablo 3. Like I said earlier, the extra are enjoyable, even if some of them aren't as fun to have as some of the others. If you have the chance, try to track one of these down, play the game, and enjoy the goodies!

Until next time, stay Otaku!

No comments:

Post a Comment