Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Seeds of Geekdom: My Mother

Hi guys. If you're reading this early in the morning, then my apologies. I got my collector edition of Diablo 3 last night, and was rocking my Wizard for a while. I haven't died yet, so that's a good sign. However, D3 isn't what were hear to talk about...yet.

I really enjoyed writing about how my Father planted the seeds of geekdom in me, so this week I figured that it's time to talk about how my Mother equates into all of this.

If my Father is the one that keeps all of the machines in check, then my Mother is the one that keeps all of us in check. She can be very stern when she needs to, but the rest of the time she has a gentle yet stubborn demeanor. Whenever I or my Dad have a problem, we got to her. If one of my friends needs some advice (apart from mine), they talk to her. If one of my Mom's friends needs help, they go to her for said help. To sum things up, my Mother is like a comforting glue: she'll heal what's hurting you, and if she can't help you, then she'll give it her all to at least make the situation better. However, there is one side of my Mother that a good chunk of people know about.

When the situation is appropriate, my Mom can become one of the biggest geeks on the planet. She loves Doctor Who and Firefly, has a slight passion for video games (Dead Island is a current favorite), and is a D&D player from way back. Back before there was all the stuff that's around now, and back when most of the content was made by the player's imaginations. Yep, my Mom can be quite the geek when she wants to be. In fact, it was the common bond of D&D that enabled us to get a bit closer than we already were.

Lets take another time trip. This time, back to around 2000 to 2001. An advertisement in the local geek magazine (I forgot which magazine it was) was displaying the return of Dungeons & Dragons, updated to 3rd edition. I showed this to my Mom, and on my 14th birthday, I got the Player's Handbook or Monster Manual as one of my gifts (I forgot which book it was). After a few months, I had amassed a small collection of books, and were even started up a small group in the house. My Mom was the DM, I played the Rogue & Wizard, while my Dad was the Fighter & Cleric (I should mention that both of my Dad's characters were Dwarves). Although we didn't play very often, I remembered my Mom being very much in control of the games, yet at the same time had a playful and childish attitude about her. Her mood during the times we played is something I'll never forget.

So, thank you Mom. Thank you for introducing me to something that made you happy when you were young, and thank you for putting up with Dad's dwarfness during some of our most heated battles.

See you all this Thursday or Friday, when I'll have a review up for a very demented anime. Until then, stay Otaku!


* If you have had a chance to look at how my Father helped me become a geek, then look at the link below:

http://simpleanimereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/seeds-of-geekdom-my-father.html

No comments:

Post a Comment