Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Seeds of Geekdom: Myself

Hi guys! Sorry about being late with this, but I was busy helping out my Mom for a spinning show this weekend, and I was too tired to type something up. Luckily, I’m awake enough to actually do something today. As for the review that I normally put up on Thursday, I’ll be moving it to Friday, and it won’t be the review for Diablo 3 (I’ll be doing that one in a month or two. The review this Friday will be something...different). Today is the conclusion to my 3-part series, Seeds of Geekdom, where I’ll be giving you all a look into how I’ve planted the seeds of geekdom within myself.

In the last two weeks, I wrote about how my Mom & Dad helped me onto the path of geekdom. Although they indeed helped me onto this path, it’s was ultimately left up to me to continue walking down the path. I’m glad to say that I’ve embraced the geek lifestyle, liberally dashed with nerdism and otakuism. As for my role in the family, I’m a mix of my Mother and my Father. I’ve inherited my Mother’s innate kindness and her ability to care for other regardless of any current conditions, but I’ve also inherited my Father’s ability to work with computers (I’m good with the basic stuff, but more complex matters make my brain fry) and some of his fiery temper. Despite that, I’ve added in a few more things to round myself out, both literarily and figuratively.

My gaming experience started when I was just 6 years old. At the time, I mostly played educational games, but that was because whenever my Mom saw me watching Dad play something like Wolfenstein 3d or another violent game from the early 90s, she’d freak. The way my Dad saw it, it was just nothing more than a virtual version of Cowboys & Indians, and I believe that to this day. Anyway, one day, my father sat me in front of the computer, and loaded up this game called Doom. Back in the day, Doom was a visual, gory feast for the senses, with a equally scary & brutal feast for the ears. Nobody had ever seen anything like it before, as the technology was brand new. Although the game looks very outdated, many old-school fans continue to play it, and expand upon it with numerous modifications. I’ve never forgot the day I first played Doom, and it was at that point that my gaming seeds were planted. Since that time, I’ve fully vested time into having video games become part of my life. Granted at times I’m a bit obsessed, but more often than not, video games have helped me relieve a lot of stress and other negatives vibes.

My experience with anime, however, is a bit more complicated. Although I started watching it in the mid to late 90s like everybody else, I really didn’t get into it until I was at least 18. This was because up until 12th grade, my workload was huge. I didn’t have a lot of time to watch anime, especially the shows on Toonami (thank god it’s coming back!). My schedule until then consisted of helping out my Mom & Dad, doing schoolwork with Mom & Dad, playing a game or two, and hanging out with one of the few friends I had at the time. Even though I went to college right after high school, I had a lot more time to invest in watching anime. It started on Adult Swim, and one of the first shows I watched was Inuyasha. Granted the show gets a lot of criticism for being generic and lengthy, but I enjoyed it. In 2006, I had bought the second Inuyasha movie with my own money (the prior film, Pokemon: the First Movie, my Mom had bought me for my birthday). I enjoyed watching it, and that, for whatever reason, and got me hooked onto anime. Not just Inuyasha, but a variety of other shows...mainly goofy, silly, funny, and dirty shows.

My manga experience was also complicated, although not as much. Back in 2002, I bought for myself the first volume of the No Need For Tenchi series. I got a kick out of it, and my Mom, who was with me at the time, bought the second volume for me a few months later as a Christmas gift. Flash forward to the summer of 2006, and my girlfriend at the time and I just left the mall, and I had purchased the first volume of Suzuka...mainly because I saw the warning label on the front cover. Although I haven’t bought any of the other volumes yet, I did like the...assets that were shown in the pages. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that manga was also sometimes printed in a right-to-left manner. This gave me some trouble, as my brain problems made reading right-to-left somewhat complicated. Luckily, I’ve forced myself to read right-to-left, and I’ve gotten really good at it. I’ve even bought some more manga printed in the right-to-left manner, and I enjoy reading them.

To conclude this, I will admit this one fact about myself: I’ve only been going to conventions for just a short time. 3 years in fact. On top of that, I only go to two conventions: Genericon at RPI, and Conneticon at Hartford. It’s not that I hate all other conventions, but it’s just that these two conventions are local, and they’re cheap (Genericon pre-reg and normal reg are $15 & $25, while Conneticon’s pre-reg and normal reg are $50 and $60). In addition to those reasons, I simply enjoy these two conventions, but if I ever become a hit internet celebrity like the Nostalgia Critic or Bennett “The Sage” White, then chances are I’ll enjoy more conventions.

Those that concludes Seeds of Geekdom. I hoped you enjoyed a look into how a geek like me was made, and I hope that you liked parts 1 and 2 (which I’ve left below) of this series. Let me conclude that geekery starts with family (for the most part), and the more the family geeks together, the more they stay and grow together.

Until next time, stay Otaku!


* Here’s parts 1 & 2 of “Seeds of Geekdom”

http://simpleanimereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/seeds-of-geekdom-my-father.html
http://simpleanimereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/seeds-of-geekdom-my-mother.html

Also, if you were wondering why I didn't say what was in my next review, it's because I'm trying out something else new. This Friday, you'll see my very first music CD review! I'm really excited about this, as I hope that this becomes a permanent addition to this blog. I won't spoil what CD I'm going to review, but I will say that it'll have a structure similar to that of my video game reviews. A little more simplified, but a similar structure regardless.

Update: I have to slap myself. My latest CD review is actually my second one, not the first one that I thought it was. My first CD review was done back in February, and considering the time distance from that one and this one, it can be easy to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment