Monday, December 10, 2012

The Top 5 Christmas Parody Songs

Hi everybody! Well, we’re into the holiday season now. There’s snow on the ground, lights are strung up all over the place, and seasonal songs blare on the radio & TV. I like all kinds of Christmas songs, my preferred favorite being comedy/parody songs. I’ve listened to a lot of Christmas parody songs over the years, and some of them have become my all-time favorites. So, for you listening pleasure, here are my Top 5 Christmas Parody Songs.

5) Type-O Negative - Red Water (Christmas Mourning)

We start off this list with a song that doesn’t quite necessarily fit in the parody song category. Don’t get me wrong: Type-O Negative has been known for their dark/occasionally goofy humor, and in the process creating some really memorable songs (My Girlfriend’s Girlfriend most often comes to my mind when I think of their humor). With this song, however, I’m not quite sure. There’s definitely some sarcasm in Red Water, but overall it’s a very dark tune, full of melancholy & loss. It’s perhaps because of the melancholy that I put Red Water on this list, but on the lower part of the list because, again, I’m confused on this one.

4) Gunther & The Sunshine Girls - Christmas Song

Even if you’ve never heard of this tune, most music fans have heard of Gunther & The Sunshine Girls through the reputation of the Ding Dong Song. It’s tragic that most people know about Gunther because of the Ding Dong Song, because I think he’s a surprisingly good singer, and I usually don’t like Eurodance music. Now what does this have to do with Christmas?

Well, it just so happens that Gunther created a Christmas tune some years back, and it carries with it his mantra of “Sex, Glamour, Champaign, & Respect”. It’s kind of a sensual song, full of beautiful women, and some sexual innuendo (It’s not extremely sexual, but I was put off slightly when I listened to it for the first time). Despite the sexual tones, Christmas Song is a fun & happy tune, and I got a couple smiles from it. It also helps by having a somewhat goofy/over-the-top video, complete with 2 Christmas midgets.

3) Bob Rivers Comedy Corps - 12 Pains of Christmas

Now here’s a parody song that I know you’ve listened to!

12 Pains of Christmas has become a standard for the holidays, mainly due to the Bob Rivers Comedy Corps being an established comedy group. What makes this song so great is that a lot of us (Especially some of us that are a bit older) have definitely gone through at least one of the things that is being joked about. Whether it’s finding a Christmas tree, or setting up the lights, or mailing out the annual Christmas cards. Christmas has brought joy to an ungodly amount of people, but it’s also raised hell for perhaps an equal amount of people.

(Lego Version: ***)

2) Weird Al Yankovic - The Night Santa Went Crazy

If you’ve ever wondered what would happen if Santa Claus went off his rocker, then this song is for you!

Taking a pop song (In this case, Soul Asylum’s song Black Gold) and twisting it on it’s head has become Weird Al’s routine, and it shows a lot in this song. Coincidentally, this parody and the original song were placed on top of one another as “Black Gold Made Santa Go Crazy” as a way to compare the two. The problem is it’s not on Youtube, but it can be found in the internet as a mp3 download. I’ll grab it sooner or later, since I’m actually kinda curious about it.

1) Twisted Sister - Oh Come All Ye Faithful

Some of you who are looking at this spot are gonna call bullshit on this, and to a certain extent, you’re right. Oh Come All Ye Faithful is a classic song of the holidays, and it’s practically timeless. Numerous artists over the decades have sung it in various styles, from church choirs, to pop, to country I think. However, the one group that has taken on this song, and lifted it to incredibly hilarious, yet strangely tasteful heights, is Twisted Sister.

For starters, the beginning is pulled straight from We’re Not Gonna Take It, a classic 80s metal song from Twisted Sister’s library of music. In fact, the general instrumentation & singing style of that song is used in this one. What actually makes this song funny is the accompanying video, which also happens to have a beginning that parallels We’re Not Gonna Take It’s video. Take a innocent couple, place them in a stereotypical Christmas living room, and....well, just watch the video. 

Runner Up) Rootwater - Hava Nagila

Well, I had to include the Festival of Lights in this list somehow!

For starters, I didn’t even find this on purpose. I stumbled upon it in my “suggested videos” section in my youtube page a couple months back. Secondly, I know that this is a traditional Jewish song. However, it’s covered by a metal band! Whereas the original version sounds (Most of the time) very traditional, this version sounds very over the top, almost to the point of comical. Despite that, it’s a rather interesting remix, if you could believe it.

See you later this week, when I’ll be visiting the Hinata Apartments once again. Until then, stay Otaku!

No comments:

Post a Comment