Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Top 5 Games of 2012

Well guys, it’s almost the end of the world. If it is to be, then lets go out with a bang! As I’ve done this blog, I’ve felt more rejuvenated and happy about myself than I have been in a while, and I’m glad that I have managed to please so many of you. In these final days, I’ll be posting up a bunch of things to entertain you all before our world gets annihilated, some of which might be controversial, and some might not. To start things off, let me show you all what I think are the top 5 games of 2012. Enjoy!

5) Diablo 3

This is definitely a controversial choice. When it first came out, it was an alright game. However, as the months past by, and the game suffered from broken mechanics, a ruined AH, and a host of other problems, it became apparent that this game was not quite what the players hoped for, nor was it the game that Blizzard promised to deliver. If you remember from my review of the game (Click “***” to read it), I knew of the various problems within D3, but I just couldn’t bring myself to hate the game. I had a lot of fun playing, and although I haven’t gone back in a month, I have every intention to go back and get my Wizard all the way through Inferno once I’ve completed enough Borderlands 2. I feel that I should give the game a little credit, and decided to place it here.

4) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Since the release of Modern Warfare 2, The Call of Duty Series doesn’t quite have the reputation as it once had. The actions of Activision, especially that of it’s president Bobby Kotick, have shown that the franchise is now about business only, and any inkling towards making a game for the purpose of fun have been heavily drained. When Black Ops came out, some of that fun came back, and with the release of Modern Warfare 3 last year, more of that fun has come back into the franchise. The single player isn’t so short, and while the multiplayer still has a problem here and there, it is far more stable than it’s 2009 predecessor. Let’s hope that Black Ops 2 brings more life back into the franchise!

3) Angry Birds: Space Edition

I was pleasantly surprised by this game. While being quite challenging in later levels, the original Angry Birds was a rather basic game with not much to it. With the introduction of the space edition, we take the birds to the void above us, and are introduced to a new environment with new hazards to content with. There’s gravitational pull, the vacuum of space that partially reduces speed, semi-new materials to break through, brand new environments, and somewhat new birds to launch at the pigs (there’s an ice bird that transforms walls into brittle ice, and the yellow bird has been transformed into a purple bird that changes direction when you click a different area of the screen), the only thing that hasn’t really changed, besides the gameplay. You’re still trying to rescue eggs, and you’re still trying to make the pigs pay.

2) Torchlight 2

If you remember my review of the game I did a couple months ago (click “***” to read it if you haven’t), I said at the end that Torchlight 2 blew the original game out of the water. I wasn’t kidding when I said that, as I had far more fun playing the new game. It’s not that the first one wasn’t fun, because it was fun. It’s not that Runic Games didn’t put a lot of work into the game, because they did. It just that when you compare Torchlight to Torchlight 2, it just seems like there’s more things to do in Torchlight 2, even if it’s fundamentally the same as the first game. It also helps to have a less cartooney look, and to just have a newer feel to it as well. 

1) Borderlands 2

If Torchlight 2 blows Torchlight out of the water, then Borderlands 2 blows the original Borderlands out of the water, and sends it flying out into space (it probably passes Pluto, which I still consider to be a planet). Throwing out what was bad in the original game, and taking everything that was good in the old game and giving it a massive face lift, Borderlands 2 is psychotically good. If there was a game time capsule being made, B2 would be right in front of the line.

See you all this Friday or Saturday, when I'll put up my last post of 2012. Until then, stay Otaku!


No comments:

Post a Comment