Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Top 5 Nostalgia Critic Episodes I Like

Well, with the end of the world past us, I think it’s time for some lighthearted fun. Despite ending in the late summer this year, the Nostalgia Critic is one of the internet’s top comedic reviewers. Taking a look a some of pop culture’s cinematic abominations, he looks through the entire thing, making jokes & clever insults. When he stopped, the Nostalgia Critic created 250 episodes, some of which are still popular today. I’ve looked through a good chunk of these, and for you, I’ve picked out my top 5 favorite Nostalgia Critic episodes.

5) Starchaster: The Legend of Orin

This was one of those reviews in where the humor wasn’t necessarily focused on the movie (Although there were some great cracks against the film, which was pretty vile in my opinion), but more on the pairing between the Critic and Bennett the Sage. I often felt vibes of Abbot & Costello between the two, with the Critic taking a Abbot-like stance & demeanor, and Bennett the Sage acting like the tormentor that Costello often acted like, only with a more sinister bent to it. The two play off of one another in the entire review, and it works out perfectly!

4) Heavy Metal

This is another review in which the pairing (In this case, the Nostalgia Critic & Diamanda Hagan) works great. Both of these reviewers takes great pleasure in watching the other squirm from the ridiculousness of the movie. I will say that if the movie in question wasn’t Heavy Metal, then I think that the pairing wouldn’t work out as well, especially since Diamanda Hagan specializes in reviewing some rather warped films.

3) The Grinch

What impressed me the most about this review is that the Nostalgia Critic spoke nothing but rhyme the entire time. It looks like he put a damn amount of work into the rhymes, not to mention the fact that he tried to film some of the scenes like they were from the original special. My only complaint is that while he slammed the remake, I happened to like it. Not quite as much as I used to (Especially after watching this review), but I still crack a small smile when I watch this, not to mention the fact that Jim Carrey does a surprisingly good job at portraying the Grinch.

2) Commando

This review is one of my favorites simply for the fact that Commando was one of the most ridiculous films I’ve ever seen. I’m a big fan of Arnold, but even I was slack-jawed when I saw how nuts this movie was. To quote the Nostalgia Critic:

“Everything wonderful about Arnold and Everything about terrible about Arnold is in this movie. Every over the top 80s action cliche makes it’s way into this movie. It’s unbelievable: we’ve got one-liners, we got explosions, we got the bad guys in suits, we got kidnaped children, and of course, we’ve got Arnold!”

1) Ponyo

What’s great about this review is that the critic doesn’t bash the movie. As he said at the beginning of the review, he likes the movie, but has some problems with some of the weirder elements. It’s definitely understandable, especially since Ponyo was created by Hayao Miyazaki, an iconic director & animator well known for putting surreal elements in his films. What I also found great about this review is that I laughed a ton during the review, especially during the “Ham” joke halfway through.

This is my final post of 2012. See you all next year, and until then, stay Otaku!

No comments:

Post a Comment