Friday, May 31, 2013

The Top 5 Remixes That Are Better Than The Original

Hello everyone. Let’s talk about music remixes.

Since the rise of the music industry, various musicians and bands have done remixes of various songs. Sometimes it’s to show a different side of themselves, other times it’s too show that they have range, and on certain occasions they do it to shove some dirt into a rival’s face. A lot of remixes (Especially modern ones) are either okay or bad, but there’s also an equal amount of good remixes as well. Every once in a while, however, there are some remixes that manage to eclipse their source material and become even more popular than the original.

So, after a little deliberation, I thought I’d share with you what remixes I consider to be superior than the original. Without further adieu, here are the top 5 remixes that are better than the original. Hope I don’t step on any toes!  

5) Ozzy Osbourne - Mississippi Queen (Original: “***”/Remix: “***”)

My number 5 choice is a bit on the razor’s edge, considering that I didn’t really like the original version of this song. Ozzy’s version plays things up a little different: in his edition, he plays the song a little slower, adds a dash of heavy metal to the southern rock formula, and produces an interesting remix. Unfortunately, I don’t think this is one of Ozzy’s great songs, but if it’s on the radio, I won’t switch stations.

4) Korn - Love My Way (Original: “***”/Remix: “***”)

Unlike the number 5 spot, I enjoy the original song, which is ironic given I’m not much of a fan of 80s pop music. Having said that, I really liked it’s upbeat sounds, and the singer’s voice was alright. With Korn’s version of the song, we’re given a rather different experience: it harder, heavier, and the rap-like elements give an altogether different feeling than what the original song gave.

3) Apocalyptica - Helden (“Heroes”)(Original: “***”/Remix: “***”)

I’ll start by saying no disrespect to David Bowie. He is perhaps one of the most influential artists to have ever graced the world of music. He songs are absolutely timeless (Even his 90s stuff), and he’s putting out a new album after 10 years. With that said, his song “Heros” is a little flawed. With a name like that, you’d expect a uplifting & hopeful song. While you still have moments like that in the song, the whole experience feels more somber than it should.

With Apocalyptica edition, it’s more of the other way around. There are somber moments, but the overall song feels more uplifting & hopeful. Apocalyptica does a fantastic job with their cello work, creating new sounds while somehow keeping some of the feelings of the original song. It also doesn’t help the fact that Till Lindemann of Rammstein kicks ass at the vocals.

2) Ministry - Under My Thumb (Original: “***”/Remix: “***”)

Truth be told, when I first heard this song, I thought it was a prank. I’m not necessarily the biggest Rolling Stones fan, but even I dropped my jaw when I first heard this edition. However, I decided to give it a 2nd/3rd chance, and I picked up the song (Later that same year, I got a CD for Christmas that had the same song on it). I was quite humbled.

Ministry seemed to go for a more sensual route with this remix. Everything seems faster, more aggressive, and perhaps a little more kinky. Hell, there’s even more xylophone used in this edition. It still sound goofy, but for some reason it still fits.

1) Type-O Negative - Paranoid (Original: “***”/Remix: “***”)

Type-O Negative was gonna show up at some point people!

Much like David Bowie, I mean no disrespect to Black Sabbath. Without them, Heavy Metal as we know would sound much more different than it does now. Paranoid, a now iconic song, is one of the many bricks that has created the foundation on which Heavy Metal rests. As much as I enjoy Paranoid, I don’t quite get that paranoid feeling, if you know what I mean. It’s far to frantic, far to fast, and feels more like schizophrenia than paranoia.

With Type-O Negative’s rendition (At least for me), we’re given that feeling of paranoia. The song is slow, sinister, and is positively downright friggen creepy. Topping this gothic sundae is Pete Steele’s voice, which is just perfect in this song. It’s methodical, it’s dark, and he has just the right tone for it!

Well, that concludes my 2nd-year anniversary of my blog being up. I hope you’ve enjoyed everything I posted. See you all next month, when I’ll begin my four-month long series of reviews. Until then, stay Otaku!

No comments:

Post a Comment