Monday, May 27, 2013

Seeds of Geekdom: Myself (2)

Well ladies & gentlemen, I’ve told you another story about my Dad, and revealed some insight about my Mom. With their posts done, it’s only natural that the circle would come back to me, so here’s another geeky story about myself. Enjoy!

Let’s step into my time machine, and take a quick trip back to the late spring of 2011. At that point, I went to Connecticon twice, but the coming convention was particularly special for me, because Jon St. John, the badass who voiced Duke Nukem in the iconic game series, would be coming to the convention for the first time ever. It was also exciting for me because my Father would be turning 50 a couple weeks after the con, and it was a perfect opportunity to get his original copy of Duke Nukem 3d signed as a gift. Giddy with excitement, I packed my stuff, and zoomed right down.

On Saturday of that weekend, the awesomeness exploded all over the place! He hosted a panel around the afternoon, and it was a packed house (Click “***” to watch that panel. Around 20 to 22 minutes, he answered my rather goofy question). After that hour of badassery, it was off to the autograph table, where he and I traded a few words, and he signed my dad’s game CD. I gave it to my Dad on his birthday, and he was absolutely shocked. While that experience was awesome, it would be a more recent one that eclipsed this one, but only just.

Flash forward to 2012, and Jon St. John came to Connecticon once again. This time around, I had the honor/privilege to have lunch with the man, along with two acquaintances that I met some minutes before. It was quite an interesting experience, because I saw a different side of him. He was still kind & badass, but he seemed more critical of pop culture aspect, and said that he was pro gun control. Quite surprising!

On top of that, he hosted his panel once again on Saturday of that weekend, and not only did he answer one of my questions, he answered another one. In hindsight, however, the second question was rather stupid, but I won’t get into it.

Those two experiences are some of my most cherished geek memories, and now, I’ve shared them with you. Hope you liked them!

See you all next time. Until then, stay Otaku!

* If you would like to look at my original post about myself, click on the link below:

http://simpleanimereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/seeds-of-geekdom-myself.html

No comments:

Post a Comment